Outreach and Extension
The Girl Scout Outreach Program serves girls in grades K-8. This cooperative program gives girls the opportunity to participate in a broad scope of Girl Scout activities. GSSI staff or volunteers will deliver the program at least once a week. Some of the activity topics include: Arts and Culture; Life Skills; Health & Well-Being; STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math); Self-Esteem and Sports.
Girls that participate in the Outreach Programs are encouraged to participate in the annual Product Programs. We conduct two Product Programs annually – Nut, Candy & Magazine Program in October and Cookie Program in January. During the Product Programs, girls will learn 5 skills: goal setting, decision making, money management, people skills and business ethics. These skills are essential to leadership, to success and to life.
The Girl Scout Extension Program provides a Girl Scout experience during the school day in a 9 month program designed to promote a healthy self-image, life skills and social skills for 1,400 girls in the St. Louis metro-east area. This program promotes healthy behaviors, positive relationships and financial literacy and provides additional Science, Technology, Engineering and Math opportunities for girls in underprivileged areas. Additionally, girls involved in this program have an opportunity to participate in a Summer Camp experience.
Schools currently participating in this program include:
* Lincoln Middle School, East St. Louis
* Dunbar Elementary School, East St. Louis
* Annette Officer Elementary School, East St. Louis
* Katie Wright Elementary School, East St. Louis
* James Avant Elementary School, East St. Louis
* Kreitner Elementary School, Collinsville
* Lalumier Elementary School, Centreville
* Huffman Elementary School, Cahokia
* Elizabeth Morris Elementary School, Cahokia
* Maplewood Elementary School, Cahokia
* Penniman Elementary School, Cahokia
* Bernard Long Elementary School, Madison