Girl Scouts who complete all the activities listed below will earn the Girl Scouts of Southern Illinois Asthma Awareness Patch. This patch is to help girls and leaders learn about asthma and how to respond to an asthma emergency.
- Learn about the respiratory system and how people breathe.
- Learn what asthma is and the causes, or triggers, of an asthma attack.
- Learn what are some signs and symptoms of an asthma attack.
Learn the procedure how to help someone who is having an asthma attack with the following steps:
1. Stay calm.
2. Ask the person if she/he has asthma. If so, help them with their
medication if they need help.
3. Notify a parent/guardian immediately.
4. Call 911 and follow the instructions from the 911 operator if emergency
help is needed.
Practice this procedure with other members of your troop using toy phones (do not call 911 unless it is a real emergency).
- Learn lung-smart health tips.
- Teach other people and Girl Scouts about asthma.